The snake plant ( Botanical name-Dracaena trifasciata) is one of the most common houseplants in the globe. This indoor plant is native to West Africa and is also popular with names like Mother-in-Law’s Tongue and Saint George’s Sword. Many people also referred to it as the Sansevieria plant as it was formerly known by the scientific name Sansevieria trifasciata (before 2017).
Snake Plants are very common houseplants due to their non-demanding nature. It required very minimum maintenance and care.
The other key feature of the snake plant is its ability to purify the air. According to various studies, it removes harmful toxins such as benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene, and is therefore a popular choice for many. The plant has long, pointed leaves that can grow several feet tall, and are typically green with yellow and gray-white stripes, making it an attractive indoor plant.
*Note-Price may change after publish date, and we may get an affiliate commission if you buy from our affiliate links.
Saint George’s Sword
|2 to 3 feet
(Can reach up to 6 feet)
|Upto 3 feet
|Up to 3 feet long and
5 to 6 cm width in maximum
|Light green, green, and dark green, with mix
of gray, white, or yellow shades.
|Mix of sand, well drained
|Rarely bloom in spring
with white flowers.
|Tropical West Africa
Types of Snake Plant
Snake plants are available in several different types, each with its own unique features. The most common sansevieria varieties that are used as houseplants include:
- Sansevieria Trifasciata: This variety of snake plants is commonly known as “Mother-in-Law’s Tongue”. It is the most popular type and is known for its long, pointed leaves that are typically green with yellow or gray-white stripes.
- Sansevieria Cylindrica: This type of snake plant is also called the “African Spear” and has upright leaves that are cylindrical in shape. The leaves are usually green or grayish-green.
- Sansevieria Kirkii: This variety of snake plants has wide, paddle-shaped leaves that are usually green with light green or white stripes.
- Sansevieria Laurentii: This type of snake plant has long, sword-shaped leaves that are yellow-edged and variegated.
- Sansevieria Moonshine: This newer type of snake plant has leaves that are light green with a silvery sheen, giving them a unique, moonlit appearance.
- Sansevieria Bantel’s Sensation: This rare and highly sought-after snake plant has long, narrow leaves with white vertical stripes, making it a striking addition to any plant collection.
Overall, snake plants come in different varieties, and one can choose the one that best suits their taste and preference.
Snake Plant Sizes and Characteristics
- Snake plants are generally grown between 60cm to 120cm. It may reach up to 180 cm in rare cases.
- The leaf of the snake plant color is found in light green, green, and dark green, with gray, white, or yellow shades or a mix of both. It differs according to the variety
- The leaves can grow up to 3 feet long with a width of 5 to 6 cm at maximum.
- It may occasionally bloom with a little greenish or whitish flower.
- It grows slowly and expands its roots gradually.
- It’s a mild toxic to pets and humans as it contains a chemical called saponin. It may affect if properly chewed. So, it’s wise to keep them away from pets and especially from kids.
- The snake plant is prone to fungus attacks and which affect its leaves and leads to red or brown.
Snake Plant Benefits
- The snake plant needs the bare minimum maintenance and fits in every condition.
- The snake plant is one of the best plants for your inner air purification according to NASA’s clean air study. It absorbs hazardous pollutants like benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene, and toluene effectively.
- Different varieties of snake plants with various shapes and sizes properly match your home décor needs, for example, you can put the tall ones in corners and use the smaller ones for decorating selves or study or office tables.
- Snake plants come under the Crassulacean Acid Metabolism (CAM) plants category. This means they photosynthesize during the daytime and exchange air at night, thus they intake carbon dioxide at night. So you can use it in your bedroom for better air quality.
- According to Feng Shui and Vastu, some believe that the sword-shaped leaves of snake plants cut any negative element around the house and associate it with positive energy and good luck.
Snake plant Care
Snake plants are popular indoor plants due to their resilience and ability to survive in low-light conditions. Taking Care of or maintaining a snake plant is quite easy and it may survive for months without single maintenance.
Here are some tips for caring for your snake plant:
The snake plant can survive both indoors with a little light or outdoors with direct sunlight, but bright indirect sunlight is preferable. So consider placing your snake plant near a window with filtered light. Remember don’t place it in both indirect and bright light frequently.
Snake plants require a minimum of water to survive. In summer you can water it every 15 days and in other seasons you can apply water monthly. The easiest way to water a snake plant is when the soil is completely dry. Overwatering can lead to root rot, so be careful not to water your snake plant too frequently. During winter months, reduce watering.
Temperature & Humidity
Snake plant requires a warm atmosphere. A temperature between 10°C (50°F) to 32°C (90°F) will be good. It should not be exposed to temperatures below 10°C (50°F) as they are sensitive to frost.
Snake plants can tolerate low humidity, but you can mist them occasionally to increase the humidity around the plant.
Use well-draining soil mixed with sand to avoid waterlogging. Cactus potting soil is best for snake plants.
Snake plants do not require frequent fertilization, but you can use the same house plant fertilizer or indoor cactus fertilizer every 2 or 3 months and in winter don’t fertilize at all.
Propagating a snake plant is easy. You have to cut a healthy leaf (V shape cutting is advisable) put it in water or cactus potting soil and have patience. It will propagate slowly and may take 6 to 8 weeks.
Remove any dead or yellow leaves, and trim back any overgrown leaves to maintain the plant’s shape. Pruning is preferable in the growing season of the snake plant. ie: in summer and spring.
The size of the pot for the snake plant depends upon the variety. Taller varieties require large pots (minimum 1-foot diameter with 1-foot height) and the smaller species require comparatively small pots (6 to 8 inches in diameter and with the same height). Ceramic or clay pots are good for snake plants but they can fit in any kind of pot materials
Snake Plant Price
This plant is easily available in every location and at a very cheap price. However, the snake plant price mostly depends upon the plant variety and may vary from country to country or location to location. People often collect leaves from friends or neighbors and propagate them, which is free.
In India, the price of a Snake plant varies from Rs 60 to Rs 150 per piece depending on the size of the plant and the location. In the USA a small size Snake Plant may cost between 5$ to 15$. The price may go up if you want to bring it with a pot depending upon the cost of the pot.
Check the price of snake plant at Amazone
Are there any disadvantages of snake plants?
The major disadvantage of the snake plant is, it is mildly toxic to pets and humans. If you have a small kid then you should keep it away from them. The other main disadvantage is the fungus. Snake plants are attacked by fungus regularly.
How do I get a snake plant?
Snake plants are easily available almost in all locations. You can visit your nearest nursery or order it online. You also propagate it by collecting its leaves.
Does it grow fast?
No, it grows slowly. It grows faster in summer and spring than in winter. It can grow upto 3feet in a year with proper care.
How many years a snake plant can survive?
With proper care, it can live up to 10 years. In some cases, it can last up to 25 years.
What is Variegated Snake Plant?
Variegated Snake Plant is one of the snake plant varieties. The botanical name of this plant is Sansevieria trifasciata. It has long light green foliage with strips of gray-white.
Snake plants are low-maintenance and tough plants that can survive in a variety of conditions. With a little care and attention, your snake plant can bring beauty and health benefits to your indoor space for years. You can try its different varieties, and choose the one that best suits your taste and preference.
Overall, the snake plant is a fabulous indoor plant with so many features and benefits, which you should keep at your home.
Hope this article helps you well!
You can ask any query or suggestion regarding snake plants in the below comment section.
Thank you for visiting us.